Are you seeking ways to thicken weak and sparse eyelashes? Has some trauma or excessive use of eyelash extensions permanently damaged your lashes? Or, you are just fed up of wearing false eyelashes every day for a glamorous look? If your answer to any of these questions is yes then an Eyelash Transplant may be the right procedure for you.
But before moving on to eyelash hair transplant, it is important that you know what exactly causes you to lose this mandatory eye decoration. Knowing causes of eyelash loss will help you avoid those factors that may trigger the problem, and “Prevention is always better than cure”. Here are 7 most common reasons why eyelashes fall out.
- Excessive use of mascara: Chemicals present in mascaras are not good for your hair follicles. Waterproof mascaras are particularly damaging and can cause the wearer to lose eyelashes as well.
- Trauma: Pulling, tugging or rubbing your eyes harshly can also damage the lashes to an extent where they may fall out. Similarly, excessive use of eyelash curlers may also inflict trauma and cause the lashes to fall out.
- Blepharitis: It is a medical condition in which the eyelids become inflamed due to an allergic reaction or fungal infection. Most of the Blepharitis patients lose their eyelashes while suffering from this disease.
- Alopecia: Alopecia, gradual hair loss, can also affect facial hair. Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disease in which the sufferer’s immune system starts attacking hair follicles all over the body and they fall out.
- Illness: These are numerous ailments as well that may cause the sufferer to lose eyelashes. Two common diseases that may induce eyelash loss include scleroderma or lupus and hypothyroidism.
- Chemotherapy: Chemo used for treating cancer also cause hair loss, and this may also include eyelash hair. But the best thing about chemo-induced hair loss is that it temporary and the eyelashes regrow once the treatment is complete.
- Natural eyelash loss: Like your scalp hair, eyelashes can also fall out naturally. You must have noticed eyelashes coming out on and off. This is natural as it gives way to new eyelashes to grow.
Know these factors and avoid them if you wish to keep your eyelashes intact.
Eyelash transplant surgery:
While most of the above stated factors cause temporary eyelash loss, in some cases it can be permanent. In this case your lashes would not regrow automatically. The only way to regrow permanently damaged lashes is through and eyelash transplant.
Eyelash Hair Transplant is a minimally invasive hair restoration technique similar to traditional hair transplant. The procedure involves extracting hair follicles from the rear of the scalp and implanting them into eyelashes.
Preparing for eyelash hair transplant:
Like any other surgery, eyelash transplantation also required some pre-procedural care and preparation for its success and effectiveness. Here are some Dos and Don’ts that you are supposed to follow before undergoing eyelash transplant.
- Stop taking blood thinners, especially aspirin and its variants, at least a couple of weeks before surgery
- Quit smoking two to three weeks prior to eyelash transplant
- Stop alcohol consumption at least a week before the procedure
- Do not wear any eye makeup on the day of surgery
Here is a step by step procedure of eyelash hair transplant:
- Step 1 – Planning the surgery: As you arrive at the clinic the surgeon will examine your condition once again to determine the exact amount of hair follicles required for a thicker yet natural look. The doctor will also explain you the procedure once again.
- Step 2 – Preparing for the surgery: Our staff will then give you a consent form to read and sign. Then you will be taken to the operation theater where the surgeon will start by marking the donor area for graft extraction.
- Step 3 – Graft Extraction: Before starting the extraction process, the donor area will be shaved. Since eyelash transplant need very few hair follicles – 20 to 40 hairs – FUE harvesting technique is used for graft extraction. Using a punch tool the surgeon will extract desired number of grafts from the rear of the scalp, because hairs there are very fine and resemble eyelash hairs.
- Step 4 – Graft Preparation: After the extracting the grafts, surgeon handovers them to the technical staff to trim them to desired size and remove any extra fat or tissues.
- Step 5 – Graft Implantation: While the technical staff trims the grafts, the surgeon prepares the eyelids for graft implantation. Tiny incisions are carefully crafted at the tips of eyelids at specific angles. The grafts are then placed in these incisions to conclude the surgery.
Recovery process and Post procedural care:
- Expect your eyelids to remain sore and swollen for a day or two
- You may also experience itchiness but resist your desire to scratch the eyelids or the eyelashes will come out
- Within a couple of days the scars will begin to heal and scab will be formed around the lashes
- Do not pick at the scab and sooth it by applying the prescribed ointment
- Also take the medicines as prescribed by the doctor to ensure quick and uneventful healing
- Avoid touching your lashes unnecessarily for two to three weeks, as this may cause infection
- Avoid direct sunlight exposure for at least a month
- It may take 6 to 8 months before you will be able to see the results of the surgery
Like traditional hair transplant, results of eyelash hair transplant are also permanent, and they also don’t need any extra care or attention. They will grow just like your existing eyelash hairs. If you are interested in an eyelash transplant, contact Dubai Hair Club now and get it done by our highly skilled surgeons. We also offer free online consultation.