The FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) procedure also known as the strip method is the most traditional procedure of hair transplantation and has been used for many years all over the world.
After consultations and checkups with the surgeons, the patient finally arrives at the clinic on the day of surgery. This is when the surgeon examines the scalp of the patient for the last time and gets a complete idea of the desired look the patient wants.
The patient is then prepared for the procedure:
- Firstly, the surgeon draws the desired hairline to be achieved for the patient with an eyebrow pencil in order to make sure that it is in line with the natural face anatomy of the patient.
- Next, the donor area is prepared by administering local anesthesia to that part of the scalp so that the patient does not feel any kind of discomfort or pain
- After this, the surgeon marks the extraction points and carefully extracts a linear strip of superficial skin and hair follicles from the donor area carefully.
- This strip is then immediately handed over to the technical staff whose job is to dissect and divide this strip into small individual follicle units for transplantation under a powerful stereo microscope.
- Local anesthesia is again administered to the scalp, this time to the recipient area to make sure that there is no discomfort or pain for the patient.
- Now the surgeon makes small incisions into the recipient area (Bald area) with the help of a small needle
- Once these incisions are made, the surgeon carefully inserts the extracted follicle units into these incisions one by one keeping in mind the natural density, direction and thickness of hair.
- The donor area is then closed up by the surgeon with sutures or stiches for recovery
Post Op care and Results:
After the procedure, the surgeon guides the patient completely about the post op care and instructions that should be followed for speedy recovery and faster hair regrowth. The stiches at the donor area leave a small scar which is covered by the hair on both sides on the scalp and is not visible to the normal eye.
The hair regrowth process begins in a matter of 3 to 4 months when the transplanted hairs get root into the scalp and start to grow afterwards gradually. However, for the best and maximum results to be visible, it is advised to wait for at least 9 months to 1 year so that hair are completely grown out.
Afterwards, the transplanted hairs can be easily cut, trimmed, colored or treated whichever way you desire. As these are natural hairs that are re-transplanted, they are there to stay for a lifetime and do not shed again until and unless there is a specific disease of the scalp.
The FUT Hair transplantation technique has been practiced for a long time all over the world by different surgeons and has proved to bring out assured results of hair regrowth and regeneration in minimum time.