Follicular Unit transplant is a traditional hair procedure also known as the Strip Method. This is the oldest technique of hair transplant that has been practiced by surgeons all over the world for years.
What happens in FUT hair transplant?
- After the surgeon has completely examined the patients scalp and is ready to proceed, the patient is prepared for the procedure
- The very first step involves the preparation of the donor area which is at the back of the head. The donor area is shaved and marked accordingly for the extraction of the strip.
- In order to make sure that the patient does not feel any kind of pain or discomfort, the donor area is administered with local anesthesia to numb it.
- The next step includes the strip cutting. This means that a linear strip of hear consisting of superficial layer of skin is excised from the donor area that is on the back of the head.
- Once this layer is extracted, the surgeon then carefully stiches back the skin for healing.
- Further, this strip is taken for graft preparation. It is dissected and divided into individual follicle units under a powerful stereo microscope for implantation, as this entire strip is not possible to implant on the head practically. Now your individual mini grafts are prepared.
- For your comfort, local anesthesia is again administered to your head, this time to your recipient area or bald area where hair will be transplanted.
- With the help of a very precise needle, the surgeon will carefully make incisions on your scalp starting from the hairline.
- Now single grafts are taken and inserted carefully into these incisions. The surgeon takes special care that your natural thickness, direction and density of hair is kept in mind while inserting these grafts into the incisions.
The Recovery Process
The recovery process for the FUT Hair transplant does not take too long and your donor area will heal after a maximum time period of 10-15 days when the surgeon will examine it and open up your stiches. Whereas, for the transplanted hair, it will take from 4 to 6 months in total to see some observable results.
As this is a natural process and your own hair are implanted into another area of the head, it does take some time to finally show the best results. It is advised to wait for at least a time period of 9 months to 1 year to see completely visible results after the hair transplant.
Once your transplanted hair settle in the scalp, they start to grow and after some time you can even cut, treat, style or color your transplanted hair the way you like. The transplanted hair have no side effects and very observable results the natural way.
The stiches in the donor area do tend to leave a scar which can be easily covered with other hair on the sides and is barely visible. Moreover, the surgeon completely explains in detail the pre and post op instructions to the patients beforehand which are very important to follow to get speedy recovery and the best results of FUT Hair Transplant.